Wednesday, March 14, 2018

BSA202 (Audio Tech) Week 5 : SFX Replacement

This week we continued with the Robocop task, wherein we had to use provided sound effects to create a soundscape for a scene from Robocop (1987).

My final soundscape:


What I tried to achieve with this soundscape:

- More depth & variety

I wanted to create deeper sounding effects than just what we were provided. This meant layering sound bites and not repeating the same one over and over. While I liked pretty much everyone else's soundscapes, I noticed that they could feel quite empty. I think mine stands apart in this area, it feels more bass-y and textured.

Luckily we had access to a large library of sounds, there were times though that I felt limited in variety of particular sounds (like when the Robot hits Robocop) and there were times when I had something very specific in mind but which I was unable to find in our resources.

- Changing the scene with sound alone

This activity gave me the chance to experiment with a concept I have been contemplating for some time now - the idea that the soundscape can have a big affect on how we perceive the scene, being able to even change the size or amount of people in a room.

I did this to comedic effect in this scene by including applause and cheering, this creates the illusion of an audience and I think it works pretty well.

After class I had a look at the original scene to see what they did:



I was surprised by how underplayed the big robot's footsteps were, I made mine intentionally resonant because I felt that it needed to feel big. The real film gives it a more sophisticated approach, suitable to the high tech creature that the story demands it to be. Again one small change can determine how we see something as an audience. 

Mine also sounds way more worn out.

They also show a great amount of restraint, with not every single thing on screen being given it's own separate sound effect, and unlike me didn't add unneeded sound effects. It makes sense, you only want to point out the important parts of the scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment