Thursday, March 29, 2018

BSA234 (Cinematography) Week 7 : Storyboard Feedback

We got feedback on our storyboards this week:

My (terrible) Storyboards

Things I need to work on:

- Arrows and communicating movement

This was the biggest problem with mine, and funnily enough actually something I seriously considered going in. Which arrows mean what?

Originally I chose to have the black arrows represent camera movement and the white ones represent character, I only realize why this wouldn't work and the reason for this is two-fold:

1. Zooms and Dollies

Since I wasn't really using zooms I didn't consider them when drawing, the first frame was initially interpreted as a zoom by Patrick, while my original intention was for it to be a dolly. Having the literal black and white choices of character and camera movement ignores the fact that there are different ways the character can get closer to the subject.

2. Characters and Camera

Only in hindsight I realize that using the bigger arrows for camera makes more sense, and apparently this is closer to an industry standard (if one existed). When I looked at them with Patrick i realized it looked weird - again look for feedback before submitting. Getting someone elses opinion helps a lot, especially when attempting to communicate something.

- Perspective 

My drawing needs improvement, this is something I've started to focus on a bit more. The fourth frame was especially illegible. I need to focus more on representing the frame accurately.

- Consider Genre

This is one thing that Patrick was very adamant about - consider the genre (here being horror) and consider what would be the best way to make it more like that genre (so for us - how do you make the shot more horrific?)

The example from mine is the close-up, which to make more horrific we'd use a wide lens, to accentuate the facial features.

Horror isn't flat. This was also demonstrated with one of Izaiah's examples, where he had a hand opening a door handle. To make this less flat Patrick suggested the use of a wide lens, accentuating the form of the handle and creating an interesting point of focus.

Facial Features Accentuated

No comments:

Post a Comment