Sunday, August 26, 2018

BSA 231 W7 : Creature Design

I've started developing the design of my demon, the first stepping stone to this was coming up with a solution to representing its presence. In the story I open by having the character describe how he can feel when the thing is around and I was wondering how I would represent this on film.

The solution came to me in the form of horror sounds that are commonly heard in these types of movies, I did some research and found this instrument online:




If the demon in my film is accompanied by these sounds it would serve its greater purpose in the plot (it's too weak to steal souls properly so instead scares people to death, so it makes sense that it would fashion itself tools to help do this) and it is also a clear motif of when the supernatural entity is knocking about.

This machine above is an instrument used for sounds commonly heard in horror movies, I thought it would be a unique design choice to give my monster one of these. I haven't seen it in a horror movie before, breaks the fourth wall to a degree, is visually interesting yet narratively coherent and adds more texture to this world.

I am also thinking of incorporating the weaker aspects of the demon's persona into its design, the idea is its lesser than its peers and this could be presented in a variety of ways, like certain unpronounced features (weak jaw, small shoulders) or a physical disability (spinal dysraphism - which is weak but also somewhat unsettling). 

So key features of my design:

- Suit
- Scary Face, usually painted (like Sinister, Insidious or old viral jump scare videos)
- The Apprehension Engine
- Weak physicality/deformity

This also has repercussions on my sound design. 

No comments:

Post a Comment