Wednesday, October 10, 2018

BSA 204 S2W14 : Seance Scene

I wanted to change my idea for Ash's class and decided to write up a new script - this is what I came up with (the idea being that the main character is a spiritual medium who isn't stuck just between the physical and supernatural worlds but also between jobs):

INT. HOUSE DINING ROOM - MIDDAY

EILEEN sits staring blankly forward

JOHNNY

Do you get what I'm saying?

EILEEN looks to her side before she answers:

EILEEN

Yeah JOHNNY, we've been over this...


JOHNNY

I know that, but things have changed, you have to move on now, you can't be stuck here forever

EILEEN

I know but...

JOHNNY

No more 'buts' Bill, you have to make a choice now, there's no more sitting on the fence

EILEEN glances to her side again

EILEEN

What are you saying exactly?

JOHNNY

Bill, I'm saying this time it really would be forever

EILEEN

Are you saying what I think you're saying

JOHNNY

I think I am

EILEEN

JOHNNY please...

JOHNNY

Bill, I'm saying you have to move out now, once and for all

EILEEN

But JOHNNY, why?

JOHNNY

Because you're dead now mate and it's getting weird

We reveal that the two are sitting around a table with candles, there are three seats - two of them occupied by EILEEN and JOHNNY and one spare with no one in it.

EILEEN looks towards the empty chair before she answers:


EILEEN

He says it's not his fault - I'm in the same mess you are y'know, worse off to be perfectly honest

JOHNNY

It's unfair what happened to you, and I understand that you can't help being so attached to this place - but we've had this conversation many times before, when you were alive

EILEEN

I never knew it was so serious?

JOHNNY

To be honest I cared more about getting you to move on with your life, that’s a little hard at current...but the same rules apply

EILEEN

How so?

JOHNNY

Well now you’ve just got to move on into the afterlife is all

EILEEN

You know it was never the place I was attached to?

JOHNNY

What do you mean, you love this old dump…

EILEEN

Yeah, but it’s never what kept me here you know

JOHNNY (swallows)

What kept you here Bill?

EILEEN (with tears in her eyes)

He says...He says it was you JOHNNY, it was always you…

JOHNNY starts weeping and a RINGING noise starts going off

The stopwatch is ringing and EILEEN turns it off:

EILEEN

Alright, that’ll be 200, but if you wanted to talk longer it’s 100 for every extra hour

JOHNNY

Oh yeah, alright…

JOHNNY momentarily hesitates, then wipes at his eyes

JOHNNY

no that’s fine, I’ll just take the hour, can I still say something to him before you go?

EILEEN

No sorry, I’ll have to charge extra to bring him back…

JOHNNY

Yeah no I understand, that’s algood - this way

HE gets up and walks to his left

CUT TO:

INT. HALLWAY - MIDDAY

JOHNNY is walking down the hall, EILEEN follows:

JOHNNY

So you make a pretty good living of off this stuff?

EILEEN

Yeah it’s alright, not really a reliable source of income but it works for the moment?

JOHNNY

You study?

EILEEN

Not at the moment...I haven’t really decided what I want to do - next year.


JOHNNY stops:

JOHNNY

Right here. You charge a pretty steep price, I would have thought you’d be set financially

He reaches up to a cabinet and starts rummaging

EILEEN

Yeah you’d think...nah, there’s not that much work as you might imagine, spiritual mediums have never been high in demand…

JOHNNY takes out a jar from the cabinet and climbs off the chair
JOHNNY

How’d you get into that then?

EILEEN

Oh it was just a hobby at school, turns out I had a knack for it - not really much of a career in it though

JOHNNY

Right...I’m sorry but this is all I have

EILEEN (taking money disappointedly)

We agreed on 200, this is less than half...

JOHNNY

I’m sorry love, but that’s all I can do now, if there’s anything else…?

EILEEN

No that’s fine

EILEEN leaves the house disappointed and the opening montage starts.

This is very much unfinished and not close to what I imagined it should be, but I still think it's worth sharing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment